Thursday, June 4, 2020

Easy Semi Homemade Peach Pie


This happened today!  Well...let me take you back a few weeks and tell you how it all started

Someone, in the local moms group, Plano Moms Talk, to be exact, inquired if anyone had any experience ordering peaches from The Peach Truck. The Peach Truck is a farm from Georgia that tours around delivering pre-ordered peaches. You can read their story on their website.



As a lover of peaches, I was intrigued and set off to  see what  "The Peach Truck" was all about.  Being impressed with what I read, I decided to get some of my gal pal moms to go in with me on a box of peaches. They sell these by the 25 pound box. My family and I would never go thru 25 pounds of peaches on our own so no way I’d shell out 50 bucks for big box of peaches. I mean I can go to my beloved Central Market and buy some sweet ass Texas peaches...but I’m not going to my beloved Central Market right now and splitting this box and the price by 3...was certainly more agreeable.  

We still had way more than we could go thru before they went bad, however, so a peach pie made it's way to our menu planning.


I am not a baker.  I like baking but I am pretty basic because when I get fancy, it is usually a disaster.  I leave my baking to the pros or my husband.  Now, he's a baker!!!  Anyway...so I decided to try my hand at a simple peach pie.  Simple meaning I was going to use a redi-made pie crust and throw some ingredients that sounded good in a pie plate.  Here is what I came up with (keep in mind that I do not measure things, I just kind of fly by the seat of my pants....so you can certainly play with the measurements, this is what sounded right, to me)

Crust

Follow direction on the box for a 2 crust pie.  I used the Pillsbury ready made crusts.



Filling

8 medium peaches
1 tablespoon lemon juice
a cup of sugar
about .25 cup of corn starch (could have used more, it was a big runny because of the juiciness of the peaches)
.25 teaspoon nutmeg
dash of salt

Peel and slice the peaches.  Place in a large mixing bowl, add lemon juice.  Gently stir to coat the peach slices.  Gently mix in the remaining ingredients.  Add to bottom crust.  Continue following direction on pie crust box for a 2 crust pie.  I baked at 425 for 20 minutes.  Take pie out and cover the edges, with foil,  to prevent over browning. Replace pie and bake another 25 minutes.  Once I saw the peach mixture bubbling out the top and sides, I let go about 5 more minutes then took out of the oven to cool.  Served with Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream.

David thought it was the best peach pie he has ever had.  He may be a bit biased.

Of course the peaches were also yummy without any extra ingredients or steps...


xoxo 
Tiffany


No comments:

Post a Comment