Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Starkist Tuna Nostalgia


As someone who has been "on a diet" since ...well...BIRTH...Tuna is a HUGE part of my everyday menus.  We had tuna fish salad sandwiches during summer breaks, at Mawma's house, on crackers anytime the families got together....Tuna helper, tuna noodle casserole, tuna melts, tuna this tuns that...my mom even used tuna as a substitute when tricked my dad into thinking he was eating Salmon croquettes when they were first married and she was trying to save money on groceries ( I still make these at least once every few weeks...they are very filling and SOOOOO low carb).

Charlie the Tuna Fish is turning 50 this year!!!!  And what a hipster he is....  Here is some interesting facts I found on Starkist.com

 

Charlie Celebrates 50 Years of Good Taste

Charlie's a true pop icon, a hipster with attitude and a lovable link to the StarKist brand.  Did you know….
- Charlie the Tuna was created in 1961 by Tom Rogers of the Leo Burnett Advertising Agency.
- America’s favorite spokesfish was based on Henry Nemo, a bit actor and early innovator of jive talk.
- DePatie-Freleng Studios, the creative animation studio behind the Pink Panther, was selected to bring Charlie to life.
- Actor Herschel Bernardi, best known for his Broadway portrayal of Tevye in "Fiddler on the Roof," was the original voice of Charlie.
- The phrases “Sorry Charlie” and “Tell ‘em Charlie sent ya” are among the most recognized taglines in advertising history.
- Charlie participated in the Advertising Week Walk of Fame on New York City’s Madison Avenue in 2004.
- In 2005, Charlie co-starred in a MasterCard “Priceless” commercial with his fellow legendary Ad Icons.
- Since Charlie’s debut in 1961, he has starred in more than 80 commercials…and counting!
- Charlie celebrated his 50th Birthday in New York City in February with help from Jillian Harris, former ABC’s “The Bachelorette” and interior design expert on ABC’s “Extreme Makeover:  Home Edition”.



I really like that whoever uploaded this next one on You Tube included the Anti Pollution PSA with the crying Native American....but I guess it was ok to have him in stereotypical paint and clothing?



I love tuna. It has been good to me over the years. If I keep this as part of my diet...and do not go over board with the mayo, cheese, and do NOT make a sandwich or casserole out of it...I lose weight. I can HIGHLY recommend the Starkist pouches, esp the Garlic and Herb one...YUM. I keep a few in my car for emergencies. They are great right out of the pouch.

Happy Homemaking,

Tiffany

1 comment: