Monday, February 7, 2011

Monday Means...Laundry Day Tips!!!!





So last week I left you with a few tips to make your antique linens nice, crisp, and white.  So far, so good with mine but some had major spots and are still needing a bit of work.  I will be sure to show photos once they are all just right.

 I especially liked hanging them out on the line to dry.  I will do that more often with my laundry as the days get sunnier and warmer.  Do you have a laundry line in your backyard?  Not many do these days, understandably, it is not convenient but the laundry smells very fresh when you bring it in and your white get very bight.










Here are a few more reasons to try it: 

1. Save Money

Most households which abandon their clothes dryer save more than $100 per year off electric or gas bills.

2. Energy Conservation

Line drying laundry conserves energy and helps to protect the environment by saving precious fossil fuels. It is the pinnacle of green laundry!

3. Freshness

Clothes and sheets smell fresh without additional chemical laundry fresheners. This is particularly important for those sensitive to perfumes and dyes used in detergents and dryer products.

4. Gentle on Clothing

Tossing and tumbling in a dryer can cause wear and strain on clothing seams and buttons. Line drying is more gentle to fibers.

5. Physical Activity

Hanging up laundry is a physical activity which you can do inside or outside.

6. Good Rays

Sunlight helps to bleach and disinfect laundry. This is particularly beneficial for sheets, towels and diapers. However, for dark clothes it can cause harm - keep them in the shade.

7. Winter Humidity

Indoor racks can humidify the air in dry winter weather

8. Prevent Fire Risks

Clothes dryer fires account for about 15,600 structure fires, 15 deaths and 400 injuries annually. The yearly costs in the United States for fire loss due to clothes dryer fires is estimated at $99 million.

9. Peacefulness

Taking time to enjoy the weather, the feel and smell of clean laundry can offer an outdoor experience that is meditative.

10. One Small Step

Line drying laundry demonstrates that small steps can make a difference. You don't have to wait for the government to take action to protect the environment or reduce your monthly expenses.

Photo from Flicr


 Happy Homemaking
Tiffany










This post was linked to:
 

3 comments:

  1. Is it really not common to have a clothes line in the US? Wow! It's more common here to have a clothes line than a drier. I love bringing in freshly dried clothes off the line :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a triple liner in my yard it's about 32 years old--I hang dry all our laundry may-sept and do hang some before and after those dates too...a lot of 'neighborhoods' have covenants AGAINST them crazy! Thanks so much for linking up to the penny worthy project :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use two of these clothes drying racks for drying all my laundry year round. Outside if the weather cooperates. Inside the rest of the time. I love to share what I have learned about air drying. This is what works for my family. I start a load of laundry when I start dinner. It is done washing about the same time we are done cleaning up the kitchen. I then place the rack in the middle of the kitchen and let a load dry there. If I need to do a second load I do it then I place it in the middle of the living room when we are ready to go to bed. Both loads are dry by morning and it is very easy to sort into everyone's basket to be put away.

    ReplyDelete