Friday, June 10, 2011

Diane von Furstenberg Auction on eBay...and a bit of fashion history

I have blogged about how much I love LOVE L.O.V.E. wrap dresses in previous posts (here) and finding this absofreakinlutly adorable Diane von Furstenberg little number has just got me giddy.

I wish I could find someone to model it for me but everyone I know is either curvier than a size 8 or smaller... To me, it is absolute perfection in a wrap dress.  Silk blend that gives the right amount of "hang" to the fit...and moves like melted butter.  I can just see someone wearing this to a party or club night and being free to move on the dance floor.  I am not sure what year this is from but to me, it has a great "disco" vibe to it.  And the colors...SWOON...just so brilliant and vibrant.

If anyone is interested in the dress, it is up for auction on eBay (my eBay listings are under dfwgirliegirl...or follow the link).  It is a size 8.  I am hoping there will be a fun bidding war in the next few days.  Bidding ends on Sunday.

A climax to the American sportswear wrapping tradition came in the 1970s via the sensation of Von Furstenberg's wrap dress. Its fundamental form was already deeply embedded in the American designer sportswear tradition; a new woman designer translated the style into 1970s fabrics and colors, generally brighter, bolder, and more synthetic (and stretchy) than the early examples to which the silhouette and design principle are indebted. Source: Diane Von Furstenberg: Wrap dress (1997.487) | Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History | The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Here is a bit of History on the designer, Diane von Furstenberg...

"In 1970, with a $30,000 investment, she began designing women's clothes - "The minute I knew I was about to be Egon's wife, I decided to have a career. I wanted to be someone of my own, and not just a plain little girl who got married beyond her desserts."(Her former husband also became a fashion designer in 1974.)[6] She is best known for introducing the knitted jersey "wrap dress" in 1973, an example of which, due to its influence on women's fashion, is in the collection of the Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

In 1985 she moved to Paris, France where she founded Salvy, a French-language publishing house. Fürstenberg has started a number of other businesses including a line of cosmetics and a home-shopping business which she started in 1991.

In 2005, the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) awarded her a lifetime achievement awardand the following year named her as their president. She also designed a Sidekick with T-Mobile. In 2008, she appeared as a judge on several episodes of Project Runway.

In 2009, an large scale retrospective exhibition entitled "Diane von Furstenberg: Journey of a Dress" opened at the Manezh, one of Moscow's largest public exhibition spaces. The show was curated by Andre Leon Talley and attracted a lot of media attention.

In 2010, She also appeared as a judge on an episode of America's Next Top Model, Cycle 15(Diane von Furstenberg), which aired on September 15, 2010.

Von Fürstenberg is referenced in Dolly Parton's 1981 song "Working Girl".

Renowned for its iconic wrap dress and signature prints, DVF has grown into the global luxury lifestyle brand it is today with a complete collection of ready-to-wear, swim, accessories, footwear and handbags - and now, a line of chic and iconic Kindle covers. Inspired by DVF signature prints, these new covers are both functional and fashionable.

Von Furstenberg served as an inspiration for Andy Warhol, Julian Opie, Chuck Close, and many others and has been the subject of a number of artistic renderings."  (from Wikipedia)

Oh...and THIS is exciting.  Ms. von Furstenberg will be launching a line for Baby Gap.

"Diane von Furstenberg, the popular womenswear designer and creator of the iconic wrap dress of the 1970s, is partnering with Gap Kids to create a childrenswear capsule collection for the label. It will be the first time the designer has created a line for children.


WWD reports that the capsule collection for Gap Kids and Baby Gap will be go on sale in March 2012 and will include products for babies and girls from ages two to 14. The collection will be sold at locations in 30 countries." (From The Washington Post)  Now THAT?  I can not wait to see in the windows as I am window shopping at the mall.

Tiffany

1 comment:

  1. That is GORGEOUS! I love DVF dresses and am lucky enough to own 2 - one classic wrap and one party dress. Not sure what a US 8 is in our sizes though - and I found I had to go bigger to fit my boobs in!

    ReplyDelete